Bradford City Centre Growth Zone
The Gumption directors are business consultants and were contracted to Bradford Council to provide business support to the existing business community and attract new businesses into the city centre to create new, sustainable jobs.
Over 200 businesses, including 70 start ups received support and these include shops, bars, cafes and restaurants plus most other business sectors. This has been an outstanding success, receiving national acclaim, with over 850 jobs contracted to be created and 500 already created.
We helped to distribute approx £7.5m of RGF and council funds over a 2 year period to eligible businesses via:
- 100% Business Rate Rebate for 3 years – clients pay business rates monthly, but receive it back via the Growth Zone fund on a quarterly basis when they evidence new, sustainable jobs.
- Grants – 50% grants were available to help improve commercial properties and/or to purchase new equipment.
Our work involved attracting businesses in, helping them with business planning issues, raising finance and dealing with senior council officers in planning, building control, licensing, highways, rates, environmental health and economic development. We ensured legal compliance in all areas and made the process as easy as possible for clients, guiding them all the way. Priority was also given to listed building renovations and those in Conservation Areas. Whatever the barrier or opportunity, we got involved to “make it happen”.
We also encouraged as many businesses as possible to engage with the web to sell their products and/or to market themselves better via social media. This made them less reliant on immediate footfall and easier for them to work together as one business community or clusters of businesses.
We won a major tender publicised via strict EU rules and believe we scored highest because:
- We work differently to mainstream business support organisations.
- Having renovated a grade 2 listed building ourselves and being based within the Growth Zone, we demonstrated knowledge of property development.
- Working in Bradford for over 25 years, we knew the target customer.
- We demonstrated how we had changed our own business model over the years.
- We had experience of other business support and regeneration projects.
- We Chaired and were involved in Bradford tourism and other networks.
- We are direct, tenacious and have lots of business know-how.
- We are passionate about our work and for the city. We wanted it!
- We told them how & why we would over-deliver.
What They Said
The Gumption team were brilliant. We would not have delivered half as much with you. Thank you.
Has to be said. We would never have done it without you. I hope the council don’t let go of you.
There is so much to thank you for, I don’t know where to begin.